Thursday 25 June 2015

Artist Vainius Kubilius Drills Coconuts into Lamps That Shine Striking Patterns of Lights



Talented Artist Vainius Kubilius prudently crafts lamps that visually exhilarating and exotic patterns of light on adjacent walls. Not like your typical light designer, Kubilius doesn't like to simply work with metals and manmade materials. However, instead, the creative innovator gets an idea and incorporates coconuts into his products, which he designs under the label Nymphs. Because the head of the lamp is made out of coconut, and after careful shaving, waxing, and drilling the project, it shines like some sort of jewel. So, it takes 9 months to finish his first lamp project, and he has since improved his technique and time productivity. 

Therefore as the time passes, it takes the talented artist only a few days to completely realize each of his creations. Notwithstanding his skill to compress the time required for production, each lamp continues to demand the artist's shrewd attention to detail, not to mention his skillful hand and profound eye for design. Though, Kubilius designing light patterns is even harder than preparing coconuts as lamp heads.  He explains that not all light patterns look good, but by creating several of them I’ve learned what looks finest and what people like to enjoy the most. Eventually, he admits, I want people who turn my lamp on in the evenings to feel like they are in an enchanted place surrounded by an exclusive and calming atmosphere. Nymphs’s lamps create a small oasis in every interior. Though we were extremely lucky enough to inquire his incredibly designed lamps and the light patterns they fill their respective rooms with. You can read his brief thoughts as below.

Well, after finding the biggest and roundest coconut, I’ve shaved it, sand it, and then wax it to make it flat and shiny. Then I drill a 2cm hole at the bottom and with a small knife, prudently, bit by bit; extract the white meat from inside. Once I’ve done it, I drill tiny, precise holes for several hours to make a pattern. You know, it wasn’t easy and I took it several tries before I learned how to avoid making errors and ruining the coconut. So, creating the lamp base starts from perceptive physics and doing electricians work knowing what type of light makes sharp shadows, however, upon taking the correct components, welding them right and testing every lamp. After that, I make shape by adding flexible wires, soft parts, and painted wine corks to the body which are also covered in suede for the elegant finish. However, cork is used to mount the coconut on the body; it holds it firmly and doesn't have any hooks that would ruin the clean design. 

Also, it's very easy to remove the coconut to change the light bulb. I stumbled upon some shadow art projects on the internet. I was astonished by the concept of art not having boundaries like paper; I started desiring to own a piece of it. The problem is that either the light art was poorly made or it was amazing, but too expensive. So I decided to make it myself. From then, I became fanatical with it. I'm a massive admirer of geometry, ornaments, and patterns. Therefore for me, the patterns don't have one meaning or one idea. They are full of concepts. For me, every pattern stands for something adding some emotion, atmosphere or even a story but I don't add them. That would make them lose the chance of having various different interpretations by different people. Well, look at how Kubilius's lamps turn an ordinary room into an astonishing oasis. As I likes to create lamps that dominate the room.Source: My Modernmet

No comments:

Post a Comment